Types of Donors
There are two types of sperm donors
When the donor and recipient know each other and have an existing relationship, it’s called a “recipient-recruited donation”. In this case, the recipient usually receives a donation from a friend, relative or family member.
When a donor voluntarily donates their sperm to an unknown recipient, this is called a clinic-recruited donation. The donor and recipient do not know each other, and the donor can choose to keep his identity unknown; however, he must agree to provide identifying information to be revealed to the child conceived as a result of his donation, once the child turns 18 years old (or younger, with a counsellor’s approval).
All Addam donors are clinically recruited.
Where do Addam sperm donors come from?
Addam Donor Bank offers clinic-recruited donors both locally recruited through our partner company Sperm Donors Australia, and overseas donors from Seattle Sperm Bank, who also comply with Australian regulations.
Selecting a local or an overseas donor depends primarily on your personal preferences. For instance, if your ethnic background is particularly important to you, you may start by narrowing the sperm donor pool down to sperm donors with the same ancestry.
Addam Donor Bank supports the right of persons born from donated sperm to know the details of their genetic origins, therefore we adhere to the NHMRC’s Guidelines for the release of donor’s identifying information. The donor identities are not disclosed to recipients.
Things to consider
- We strongly encourage you to request 3 of your preferred donor matches at the time of submission, as the availability of sperm is subject to change due to the number of straws and demand.
- Please note you will need to make a reservation by Day 1 of your period, otherwise, you will be required to wait until your next cycle.
- Sperm availability is subject to location; you may be required to travel interstate to use your preferred donor as not all donors are eligible for interstate transfer. You will incur travel costs associated with the shipment of the sperm to access your preferred donor.
- If you are not in QLD or NSW but you would like to use sperm in these locations, please contact us for more information on what your options are.
- Please note that certain medical conditions or carrier status may determine the suitability of some donors over others. Please discuss this matter with our fertility specialist during your appointment.